Homily for the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A
Theme: WHO IS JESUS CHRIST? HE IS EVERYTHING TO EVERYONE
By: Rev. Fr. Jacob Aondover ATSU
Homily for Sunday August 23 2020
READINGS: ISAIAH 22:19-23, PSALM 138, ROMANS 11:33-36, MATTHEW 16:13-20
1. Jesus Christ is divinity married to earth, and according to P. Brooks, He is the condescension of divinity and exaltation of humanity. In lay man’s language; Christ is divinity stooping for man to be elevated. He is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. Align yourself to him and be exalted above your present precarious state.
2. Jesus Christ is that one character in history who: marvels, baffles, enthrals and fascinates everyone; believers and non believers alike! Christ, though renowned for his simplicity and lowliness is revered for his impact and ever abiding influence on humankind. He can influence your life on earth and set you on course to heaven. Stay with him come what may!
3. Jesus Christ is that servant leader who came to serve and not to be served (Mt. 20:28, Mk. 10:45). He is unlike Shebna and indeed today’s world leaders who are despotic, callous, decadent and lords over their subjects. He is the model king and leader that should be emulated by our politicians, religious and traditional rulers.
4. Jesus Christ is the one on whose shoulders God placed the keys to the house of David; should he open, no one shall close, and should he close, no one shall open (Isa. 22:22). He it is who sets before us an open door which no man can close (Rev. 3:8b). To those undergoing inhuman and perilous situations, those whose destinies are unrealized; those without breakthroughs in life, Jesus the Messiah is willing to help. Go to him!
5. Jesus Christ is hope to the despairing, faith to the faithless, joy to the sorrowing, comfort to the wearied, peace to the troubled, help to the needy; justice to the oppressed, forgiveness to sinners, liberator of the demonically possessed, etc.
6. Jesus Christ is
health to the sick
life to the dead
sight to the blind
food to the hungry
author of all success
bountiful harvest to farmers
HE IS INDEED EVERYTHING TO EVERYONE
Approach Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Messiah of the world as He truly is and He in turn will attend to you as you really are and change you for the best!
FEED THE HUNGRY, BERATE CORRUPTION